The end of support for Windows XP officially confirmed by Microsoft. You no longer get any technical assistance and updates from the company after April 8. You still have options for stay protected on Windows XP after end of support.
Unsupported version of Windows Operating System
After end of support for a particular version of Windows OS you no longer get updates and technical assistance for it. It mainly includes the security updates that help to protect your PC from number of online threats. You will also misses the software updates that makes the OS more reliable, won’t get support for new hardwares for your PC,faces more crashes and errors.
Stay protected after end of support for Windows XP
Upgrade for newer version of Windows itself becomes better choice after ending of support for Windows XP. In fact only a small number of older PC provide support for newer Windows versions like 8.1. But on same date of ending support for Windows XP Microsoft will release Windows 8.1 Update 1. Through this major updation the company will lower the hardware specification for Windows 8.1.
After update 1 for Windows 8.1 Microsoft will only demand 1GB RAM and 16GB storage as requirements, for 64 bit Windows 8.1 it is 2GB RAM and 20GB memory respectively. It is also recommended you to check PC requirement for Windows 8.1 with Windows Upgrade Assistant.
Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP
You have to backup the important files before you making upgrade for Windows 8.1. Transfer the datas that you want to external hard disk, pen drives or CDs, can also move such files to online storage service like SkyDrive.
Check if your PC capable of running 64 bit Windows
- Right click on my computer.
- Hit on properties.
- Check listing under ‘System’
- There is ‘X64 Edition’ label if your system running on 64 bit Windows.
64 bit Windows costumes more RAM than 32 bit version of OS, choose by considering your PC status.
- After starting your PC insert Windows 8.1 disc to drive.
- Restart your PC.
- Click any key on keyboard to boot from disc.
- Click on install Windows.
- Enter the product key, can find from Windows 8.1 DVD box.
- Accept license terms from Microsoft.
- Choose custom installation.
- Format the drive you installed the Windows XP version and select desired drive.
- Follow the instruction for right installation of Windows 8.1.
- Choose right color for Windows 8.1, then hit on express settings.
- Sign in with Microsoft account, make updates settings.
- See new metro screen of Windows 8.1